-Data Mining-

     We have all had a moment where we were talking about a product that we were interested in, and all of a sudden our social media platforms are plastered in advertisements for that specific product. I find is scary for them to know what I want if i did not directly look it up myself.
     Companies know so much about each one of their consumers. They track the videos, websites, and the things we buy. They gather information from everywhere so that companies can put out a specific advertisements on your timeline. It's kind of crazy to me how these companies think that they know what kinds of things that I like. Then again, they are looking at every post that we make online, so they must know best.
     Some companies sell their consumers information to other companies. Most of the time, the companies will mine their own data. We all agreed to those long terms and conditions that nobody ever reads that allows the companies to sell our information.
     I think that data mining has gotten very extreme in the past few years. Because more social media platforms relying on advertisements, they must know more about us, in order to get us to buy a product. Many companies like Target have denied data mining, however they were able to predict that a woman was pregnant before she herself knew. I think that many companies want to pretend that they are protecting their customer's personal information, but in reality, they are not.
     One personal example of data mining happening to me is when I bought a Vaseline in Japan and I showed to to my friend on Instagram direct messages. I instantly got an advertisement for Vaseline. Here is the ad I got in my feed. Crazy, am I right?

Comments

  1. I agree that data mining has gotten over the top lately. It's starting to feel like a big invasion of privacy. It's always sort of made me feel weird, but lately it's like brands and companies are monitoring every site I go on and every online purchase I make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that data mining has gotten out of hand. We see people covering their laptop camera in fear of people hacking into the camera. I also think that it is crazy how i could be talking about something with a friend and 5 minutes later, there would be an ad on that exact thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

-How To Loose +2 Million Followers In A Day-

-Persuaders-